Sometimes, the life of a Peace Corps volunteer can be a little difficult.
Sometimes, people tell me that I have issues expressing my anger.
This is no longer a challenge of mine because I have adopted positive hobbies to help me express my feelings and overcome my overwhelming desire to kick my own self in the face.
For example, I am now writing haikus during times of emotional distress. I have decided to include some of my blog appropriate poetry here. Sometimes I follow the simple 5 syllable, 7 syllable, 5 syllable pattern characteristic of the traditional haiku, but sometimes I don't.
If I Kick Myself in the Face Now, Then I'll Just Be Even More Upset Because My Face Will Hurt: A Series of Haikus
By Allison Hoff
Oh, the Gambia.
I did not know where you were.
Hooray for Google.
Butt loads of children,
Asking me for some candy.
Put on some pants first
OR
I carry a stick (I couldn't decide :))
Please kids, wash your hands.
Fine, just don't eat the goat shit.
Okay, don't touch me.
I can't speak Wolof.
What the hell are you saying?
I'll just smile at you.
------------------------
You're still talking.
I hope this isn't important.
My answer is yes.
------------------------
Now I am engaged.
Sorry. I can't marry him.
MAYBE BECAUSE HE'S 55 YEARS OLD AND ALREADY HAS 3 WIVES AND 18 CHILDREN! I'm just not that into him, but thanks for the offer and I hope you spend the afternoon in peace.
This meat is chewy.
Maybe it's just bad chicken.
Nope, sheep intestines.
He is a nice goat,
Tied outside my front door.
I named him Moses.
-------------------------
Went outside today.
Where is my animal friend?
He is gone. Dinner.
(I really must stop naming all of the animals that I see. I just become too attached and it's bad for my emotional health.)
I need something sweet.
There are cough drops in my med kit.
This can't be healthy.
They are called freckles.
They are not mosquito bites.
And that is bacne (referring to acne of the back, just in case all my twenty-something-year-old friends may no longer remember what it's like to have zits all over your face and body. I, however, am fortunate enough to relive this experience once more.)
--------------------------
And that is heat rash.
and... I have no idea.
Some sort of fungus?
Not the relaxer!
Don't put that crap in my hair.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I would bite myself,
If I were a mosquito.
Because all the other cool mosquitoes are biting me, and I would be a mosquito with low self-esteem that just wants to fit in with all the other mosquitoes and is easily influenced by peer pressure.
Where'd I put my keys?
That's right! I almost forgot.
They're in my leg hair.
Experiences at work:
Yay, Gambian time.
We're only 4 hours late.
TO OUR OWN MEETING.
Let's write this report!
Wait, no one can speak English.
Wait, no one else types.
-----------------------
That's cool, I'll write it.
Sure, I know what I'm doing.
Shoot me now. Hurry.
Read today's paper.
I laughed...cried...slapped my forehead.
Where the hell am I?
(Please see supplemental reading material)
SUPPLEMENTAL READING MATERIAL
http://www.observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8030&Itemid=1
http://www.observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7983&Itemid=33
http://www.observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7695&Itemid=1
http://www.observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8082&Itemid=1
http://observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7017&Itemid=33
http://observer.gm/enews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7197&Itemid=33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahya_Jammeh
Which one is your favorite?
SUPPLEMENTAL READING MATERIAL THAT DOESN'T CAUSE ME TO CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6323449.stm
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/03/15/koinange.africa/index.html
Blog is monitored.
I am apolitical.
That's me. Neutral. Yay!
Dealing with daily harassment or as Peace Corps says "unwanted attention" walking the city streets on the way to work everyday:
No, no. Go away.
I will not marry you, but...
I'll throw this at you.
Don't you follow me.
I am in the FBI.
I will report you.
(I pretty sure this is against Peace Corps policy to say things like this, but it's been about 80% effective thus far)
Don't be rude to me.
You're a really bad Muslim.
Just kidding. Don't cry.
My Peace Corps friends often say that my poetry speaks to them.
Also, Catherine Hoff was kind enough to send me an Origami for Beginners book. I used to think origami was for really lame dorks with no friends and too much time on their hands. I still agree with this statement.
But, seriously, I LOVE ORIGAMI! It is the best thing that ever happened to me.
I can now make origami hamsters with ease and precision in under 2 minutes. Wowee Mom. Thanks.
Don't Stop Believin'
Hold on to that Feeeeeeeeeeeeeelin',
Allison
Look at this. All of those market scenes are actually the Serre Kunda market which is the market that I walk through everyday. Just to give you an idea of the environment that I live in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFW124WYGc
Monday, July 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Allison I love it all!
Sallison!
I love your haikus,
almost made me pee my pants,
here's one of my own. ;~)
Love,
Biraan
PS ~ You want some oragami, here's some oragami! http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/ issues/2007/june/origami.php
your blog makes me smile
when i want to bang my head
on my desk at work
Allison.. having been to the Gambia myself, everything you wrote makes perfect sense. TOTALLY!!!
(Your dad shared this site with us at work)
Allison... having been in Gambia myself, everything you have written makes perfect sense to me. TOTALLY!!!
Theresa, Sequoia RN
Post a Comment