Thursday, February 8, 2007

I'm here!



This is a picture of the Gambian coast from the plane (courtesy of Beth Hoffman, who I now consider my better half). It is quite marvelous here. I have developed what I like to call my dewy glow, a shiny substance on my face consisting of a mixture of sweat, sunscreen, dirt, and Africa.

So we have spent 9 days in Kombo, taking mainly language classes. I am one of the three volunteers out of 21 learning Wolof. If someone asks you how work is going, you should answer, "Bam ci kawaam, ndanka ndanka," meaning I'm on top of it, slowly, slowly. I was really happy the other day when some guy at the market asked me where my husband was (every guy will ask every European-looking girl where their husband is), and I replied "Deedeet, amuma jekar. Buguma jekar leegi. Ci ka nam," meaning no, I do not have a husband. I do not want a husband now. Maybe later.



This is a picture of me and Aadam at Kackikally Crocodile Pool (RIP Steve Erwin). Yes this is a real croc named Charlie. I do believe he was drugged, or at least overfed.

Apparently, 100% of Gambian Peace Corps volunteers suffer from diarrhea during their stay. I have just finished a 2 hour class on diarrhea. We also has specific lessons on using pit latrines and taking bucket showers (none of the volunteers will have running water or electricity at their sites). Back to diarrhea. There are many types. This makes the idea of getting diarrhea a little more exciting because now I have the ability to conduct self-diagnosis and decide which type I have based on various diarrhea characteristics. I would like to now say that I think everyone should come and visit me. The food is amazing!

This is the rest of my group. They make me smile.



We are off to training tomorrow! Us Wolofs are headed to Sare Samba, a small Wolof community on the border of Southern Senegal. I will be staying with a host family for the next two weeks, and then on and off for the next 8 weeks. At this point I will probably ask them how their day is going, and then their names, and then how's the weather, and then I'll just stare at them. YAY!

In two weeks then my friends,
Allison

2 comments:

Rhymes With Lasagna said...

I want diarrhea! Hoff! Tell me about diarrhea! I want to come visit, get diarrhea and then have you give me a fitting diagnosis.

Also, you are so great for touching that crocsicle!!! I HEART YOU!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

If you knew how i long for now that you are gone, you'd grow wings and fly home to me, home tonight, and in the morning sun...